17 Feb 2011

Britannia!

Tucked away in a the lanes of Ballard Estate, this Iranian restaurant is throbbed by loyal customers who relish the signature dish here - the berry pulao!
I had heard a lot about this place, but being a vegetarian, I thought it wasn't for me. But one day, I went there just out of curiosity. Just to see what it was all about! And believe me, while my friends were enjoying their meal, I was more intrigued by the charm of the place than the food and was busy clicking pictures and absorbing the atmosphere. The wooden staircase, the red, checkered table cloth, the typical wooden chairs that one would find in an Iranian cafe, just gave it that homely old-school look that is so different from the cliched modern restaurants which have an urban air around them!
I found the place very local and immediately felt at home, since the owner, Boman Kohinoor, came and spoke to us, wished us a Happy New 2011 and took our order. He is probably the most photographed gentleman around there! I saw him showing postcards and pictures of Queen Elizabeth to some foreigners at the next table. We went there during lunch-time and the place was packed with foreigners and office goers. I ordered an egg berry pulao, some bread and some yummilicious custard. By the end of it, neither of us could get up! :)
My favourite thing about the place was that it seems so non-commercialized. Kecko, the cat, was snoring away at the cash counter after eating a lot of fish and refused to get up. We tried to wake him up, but he was probably blissfully chasing a mouse in his sleep!
Overall, a must visit for all non- vegetarian food lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment