23 Sept 2009

English bloopers

An excerpt from a conversation at work on an afternoon:

Spelling struggler 1:         What is the spelling of neighbour? Neighbour or neighbor?
Spelling struggler 2:         Neighbour is British English and neighbor is American.
Spelling struggler 3:         This happened to me yesterday. I was trying to type 'beaurocratic' no
                                          beurocratic, no boreaucratic, no? Ok, red tape!

Spelling struggler 1:           Let's get to the online dictionary and spell beauro- whatever...
Spelling struggler 2:           Impossible! It says bureaucratic.
Struggler 3:                        If its boo- reou - cratic, why is it pronounced as beau- ro- cra-tic?

Spelling struggler 1:           This happens to me with 'believe'. For a long time I spelt it as 'beleive'.
Spelling struggler 2:            I can never write 'encyclopedia'.
Spelling struggler 1:            I always spell sandwich as sandwitch.
Spelling struggler 3:            I spell sandwich as sandwicth, if that makes you feel better.

Spelling struggler 2:            This happens with one more word! I forgot...something to do with the army!
Spelling struggler 4:            Leftinant (lieutenant)!

Spelling struggler 1, 2, 3:    Now how the hell do we spell that?


No comments:

Post a Comment